29 July 2012

Rhyme and Reason

I’ve been doing some casual work at a kiosk to understand the rhythms of practice, see the flow of things, and better appreciate the logics of display.  The experience has shown just how deliberate all decisions are in the organisation of goods.  And while I try to be helpful, at times my efforts are overenthusiastic or undo careful configurations, and require some remedy guided by my patient shopkeeping friend.


The “ramble and face-up” refers to the practice of reordering goods to fill gaps in displays and ensure they are facing upwards and forwards.  There’s something particularly satisfying about creating a flush plane of shiny packages, but it seems I tend to ramble with a bit too much zeal.  As important as it is, too much “rambling and facing up” makes the products seem unpopular, I'm told.  There’s a psychology of keeping shop: gaps in display make sweets look like they’re flying off the shelves.  I have had to undo some of my fanatical reorganisation.  



I also spent some time untangling umbrella straps, only to be told they were intentionally twisted so they cannot be nicked with ease.


Although we're in the dead of summer, Halls cough drops are positioned in the most prominent place, beside the cash register.  Why?  Because they are nearing their expiry date. 


On a shelf of extra stock, pop cans are intentionally stored upside down to avoid collecting dust and grime on the openings -- an on-going issue in the kiosk, being so close to the road. 


As spontaneous as kiosks may look, their curation is calculated.  There's much for me to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment